On today’s blog we’re sharing how to buy a furnace for your home in Minneapolis. Learn all the tips and tricks form our heating contractors!Continue reading
Smart Thermostats Make Winter More Bearable
As the holidays fade into the distance and Minnesotans go into winter hibernation mode, many of us break out the to-do lists and fill our time with indoor home projects like painting, redecorating or basement finishing. If this year’s to-do list includes updating your home to “smart” status, McQuillan Bros can help. Our professionally installed smart thermostats are simple to use, Wi-Fi enabled and designed to help minimize your home’s carbon footprint.
Five Benefits of Installing a Smart Thermostat
- Smart control, at home or away. McQuillan Bros’ technicians provide training for your new, intuitive thermostat, which can be seamlessly paired with companion apps allowing precise temperature control from anywhere in the world. Designed with Wi-Fi sensors that work in conjunction with boilers or furnace systems, these next-generation devices give you the freedom to lower home temperatures when you are gone longer than expected—and raise them just in time for your return.
- Smart savings, year-round. HVAC use accounts for a whopping half of a typical home energy budget! Along with weatherproofing, window upgrades and window coverings, a new Wi-Fi thermostat can help you defray winter heating costs. Thermostats like Nest learn your home’s heat-usage patterns, take upcoming weather into account and program themselves to keep you cozy while saving energy. You’ll start saving today when our heating and plumbing contractors in Minneapolis integrate your boiler, furnace or indoor air quality equipment with a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat.
- Smart energy reports for a greener home. Smart thermostats track household energy use and pinpoint ways to save more over the long term. Customized reporting features are especially helpful for Minnesotans living sustainably and working to reduce their carbon footprint. (Watch for Nest’s little green leaf when you make an energy-saving temperature decision!)
- Smart reminders for busy people. It’s tough to keep home maintenance at top of mind when you’re juggling meal prep, working from home or shuttling kids to extracurricular activities. McQuillan Bros’ professionally installed Wi-Fi thermostats simplify your life and safeguard your family by providing emergency notifications, dirty filter reminders and maintenance updates. Choose which notifications are most important to you on your thermostat’s companion app for desktop or device.
- Smart, teachable interfaces. If you’ve owned a conventional programmable thermostat for a while, you probably agree that it is complicated to program and often more trouble than it’s worth. Nest, Honeywell, and other Wi-Fi thermostats are easily programmed. Even technophobes aren’t afraid of these thermostats, which have simple, modern screen designs and easy-to-use companion applications. Before long, your thermostat will learn your patterns and keep you comfortable—even when you forget to check it.
Schedule Smart Thermostat Installation Today
Whether your boiler, heat pump or HVAC system is a decade old or was just installed, today’s smart thermostats can be integrated to control your comfort while lowering energy use. Some Wi-Fi devices also can be used to control indoor air quality systems, humidifiers, and air filtration systems. To learn more about the benefits of Nest and other smart thermostats or to speak with our plumbing contractors in Minneapolis, call 651.237.5097 or connect online.
With over 13 decades’ experience serving Twin City homeowners, our experienced techs provide dependable plumbing and HVAC service with family-owned flair. For smart thermostat installation, heating repairs, 24/7 emergency service or boiler replacement in Minneapolis, McQuillan Bros is the team to trust when your winter comfort is on the line.
Homeowner Tips for a Worry-Free Winter
As summer winds down and days grow shorter, it’s wise to tackle DIY tasks that ward off the inconveniences brought on by bad weather. You may already have plans to winterize the RV, put the garden to bed and drain the pool, but don’t overlook basic home maintenance to prepare for frosty days ahead. No matter what type of heating system you have, McQuillan Bros reminds homeowners that prepping now for winter’s onslaught will keep you safe and warm when frigid temperatures wrap the Twin Cities.
4 Essential Fall Maintenance Tasks
- Schedule boiler & furnace maintenance. Before temperatures drop to uncomfortable lows, make sure your home’s heating system is ready to perform. Homeowners with a DIY frame of mind should clean or replace furnace filters and vacuum vents, combustion chambers, and flues where dust and soot may have settled. You should also lubricate moving parts like fans, motors, and circulating pumps. To be sure your heating system is functioning at its peak, schedule a seasonal inspection with the HVAC specialists at McQuillan Bros: boiler repair experts in Minneapolis. During your inspection, our certified technicians will also check system ignition, electrical connections and combustion efficiency to let you know if you need boiler replacement in Minneapolis before winter’s arrival.
- Clear gutters, downspouts & drains. A buildup of ice on roofs and sidewalks can damage your home and pose a serious safety risk. Clear debris from gutters and downspouts and make sure drainage extends beyond walkways and driveways. Adding extra length to downspout drainage helps to channel water away from your home’s foundation while preventing ice from forming on walking paths.
- Winterize windows & doors. Stopping air leaks around windows and doors pays big dividends in energy savings. It also lightens your furnace’s load and adds years of useful service before you succumb to boiler replacement in Minneapolis. Replace old or damaged weather stripping and repair dry and broken caulking. Consider installing storm windows and doors or replacing the old and inefficient single-pane glass with energy-saving options.
- Cover faucets & drain outdoor water lines. With freezing temperatures, water expands into ice. Winterize outdoor faucets, hoses, and sprinkler systems to prevent damage. Remember to protect outdoor kitchens and landscaping features that include running water, as well.
McQuillan Bros Offers Seasonal Inspection Discounts
McQuillan Bros has been taking care of the heating and plumbing needs of Minneapolis families for over 130 years. To help valued customers prepare for winter, we are offering discounts on preseason heating inspections. Discerning homeowners count on our certified specialists for furnace and boiler maintenance, water heater replacement and boiler repair in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and surrounding counties. For friendly, local expertise, quality craftsmanship, and upfront pricing, call 651.237.5097 to schedule service with Minnesota’s Original plumbing and heating company.